Tuesday 14 January 2014

Term 1 Week 1

It was the first day of Science lesson. As we waited for our teacher to arrive, many of us were wondering: What is LSS? It all sounded so complicated. We didn't know what to expect.

Finally (though, I forgot whether we were late or he was late), our teacher arrived. He introduced himself as Mr Tan Kok Cheong, and reminded us that his email ID ended in kc, not ck or kk. (Mr Tan, if you are reading this, and I know you are: pardon me for my tone: makes it sound like I don't expect you to read it). We then talked about some admin stuff before, without warning, we were told that we had to make a Science blog that accounted for 50% of our formative assessment. I had never done anything of the sort, and I really didn't know what it would be like, but still, here I am, I guess. We were supposed to add extra information apart from curriculum. As Mr Tan showed us sample works of other people, I was thinking: "I'll never be able to do that." In fact I had never even blogged before!
Near the end of the lesson, we got our first Science worksheet of our school life in HCI: about Science and technology. Some of the others didn't really know how to do it; after all, we hadn't been doing stuff like this for a long long time.

In the next lesson, we were taught more about Science and technology: about how they were interlinked and how they benefited each other. We also talked about things like: Why did people once think that the earth was flat? And stuff like that. Though I know Science is also about inferences, but shouldn't this be done more in history class?

We were also taught some of the attitudes that a scientist should have. To tell the truth, Mr Tan, I don't think those slides are absolutely necessary. Most of us know how we should behave/what attitudes we should have, its just that some of our class (rowdier ones) don't follow these rules.

References: EMB messages of slides (I did not copy and paste! I just forgot a bit of the material so I referred to it; just a bit.)


1 comment: